FRIDAY 6-17-22 KAHI NEWS
Some Auburn-area residents experienced power outages this week after PG&E recently enacted its enhanced powerline safety settings for this fire season.
After 9 a.m. Wednesday, 2,800 PG&E customers lost power throughout Auburn, Rocklin, Lincoln, and Newcastle. On Thursday, 661 residents in Auburn and Newcastle were hit again with a power outage at 6:30 a.m.
Each outage was determined to be a result of PG&E’s Enhanced Powerline Safety Settings (EPSS), which turn off power within one-tenth of a second when a fault, such as a tree limb encountering a powerline, is detected.
PG&E now protects more than 1 million customers who live in high-risk fire areas within the company’s service area. Placer County has 55 circuits enabled with this protection, including all Auburn and surrounding areas.
Auburn police are still investigating a downtown robbery that happened Tuesday afternoon at 4:30. A man rang the store front door posing as a customer who wanted to shop at the Golden Swan Jewelry and Collectables store on Lincoln Way. The owner ask the stranger to remove his face mask and said the man looked clean cut and let him enter. The man ask to see a roll of chains and had removed a roll of 100-dollar bills from his pocket. In a few seconds, the man moved the chains to his side and when the owner turned his back, he ran from the store with the jewelry. The owner chased the stranger but lost him as he ran across the street and down an alley by the Club Car resturant. The estimated loss to the store is 120 thousand dollars. Store has no insurnace to cover the loss.
Roseville Police Department is considering the death of a Roseville resident suspicious after finding the man inside a home on Loretto avenue this week. Lifesaving procedures were performed on the man, but they pronounced him dead. Other residents of the home are being cooperative according to the police as the investigation continues. No further information has become available.
Dozens of miles of Highway 70 remain closed days after multiple mudslides covered the roadway with debris, and Caltrans does not know when the stretch will be ready to reopen.
The mudslides closed down an almost 50-mile stretch of Highway 70 in the Feather River Canyon on Sunday. The roadway is closed from Jarbo Gap in Butte County to Greenville Wye in Plumas County. The stretch is located about 97 miles north of Sacramento.
Caltrans said there were multiple slides between Rock Creek Dam and Belden. One of the two major slides that cover Highway 70 in Plumas County covered the roadway in tree trunks and rocks. This area has been closed due to mudslides before and is a result of wildfires in 2018 resulting from the Camp and Dixie wildfires.
Sacramento-area power brokers have agreed to a compromise over the details of a proposed $8.5 billion transportation tax, coalescing key political support behind a measure that appears headed for the November ballot. If approved, the tax would fund dozens of transportation projects in Sacramento County, from freeway interchange improvements to the Capital Southeast Connector expressway proposed to connect Elk Grove, Rancho Cordova, and Folsom. Also in the proposed funding plan is a Regional Transit light rail extension to Sacramento International Airport, maintenance of the American River Parkway and new bridges across the Sacramento and American rivers. The proponents of the tax announced last week that they had filed more than 75,000 signatures with Sacramento County to place a measure on the November ballot. If the measure qualifies for the ballot and receives at least 50% approval from voters, it will raise the county sales tax by one half of 1% for the next 40 years to fund road improvements, new bridges, and an expansion of the county’s mass transit systems.
Mtula Payton, the suspect arrested in Las Vegas last month in connection with the gang shooting in downtown Sacramento April 3, has been booked into the Sacramento County Main Jail made his first court appearance on murder and other charges yesterday. Payton, who turned 28 last month as he was being sought as a fugitive, is one of three suspects facing murder charges in the mass shooting that killed six people and wounded 12. He was booked into the Sacramento County Main Jail late Tuesday after spending more than two weeks in custody in the Clark County, Nevada, jail. Brothers Dandrae and Smiley Martin also are charged in the case and have been in custody since shortly after the shooting.
Detectives and SWAT officers served search warrants on Thursday at two Bay Area homes and arrested a suspect in a shooting that killed two men during an apparent attempted robbery two months ago in Sacramento. Nigel Kahan Robinson, 22, was arrested on suspicion of homicide and booked at the Sacramento County Jail. He was being held without bail. He is scheduled to make his first Sacramento Superior Court appearance this afternoon, according to jail records. The shooting that killed Giovanni Pizano, 31, of Sacramento and Vernon Mulder III, 30, of Vallejo, occurred shortly before 3:30 a.m. on April 10 in the 2500 block of Amelia Earhart Avenue in the Natomas Crossing neighborhood.